Upstream. A Mohawk Valley Blogzine.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Propane Tanks, Suicide, And Terrorism.

I just caught part of a news story on the radio yesterday about a man (local I believe) who tried to commit suicide by blowing himself up in his car with a propane tank. I looked for the story in the paper today, but I didn't see it.

My first comment is that these tanks can be easily turned into bombs, and they are so readily available. I think of it every time I stop at FasTrac for coffee. The tanks are stored outside and would be easy to steal. Then again anyone can walk in and buy one.

My second comment is about the response by the police to this incident. They plan to press charges against this man. Once again a suicidal, obviously not mentally healthy person is being charged with a crime for attempting suicide.

I realize that if this man had succeeded in blowing himself up, he could have blown up other people as well. But this man needs psychiatric help, not prison time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home