Upstream. A Mohawk Valley Blogzine.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Television Worth Watching.

For the most part, television seems to be a vast visual wasteland. I cancelled my subscription to cable many years ago for which a friend, rather an acquaintance, said I was a fanatic. Where I live now, I cannot get cable.

I do get PBS (WMHT-17) still, and it is still worth watching. I watched Country Boys on Frontline last week, a documentary about two boys struggling to grow up in rural, eastern Kentucky. It was fantastic. The story could just have easily been about two of the many boys struggling to grow up in the Mohawk Valley.

Tomorrow night at 9:00 p.m. I plan to watch the first two parts of The War That Made America, a documentary about the French and Indian War. Upstate New York and the Mohawk Valley played a crucial part in this war. Sir William Johnson, one of the most powerful men in Colonial America but not well known outside of the valley, will be featured in this documentary. Parts three and four will air on WMHT on January 25 at 9:00 p.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home