Upstream. A Mohawk Valley Blogzine.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Vow Of Poverty Correction / Capital City Rescue Mission

A reader of this blog has pointed out that not all priests are required to take the vow of poverty. After doing some research, I found out that this is true. Diocesan priests have to take the vows of obedience and chastity. Religious priests have to take those plus the vow of poverty.

Nevertheless, I am still disturbed whenever I find Christian leaders, both Catholic and Protestant, who have amassed great fortunes while in the Christian ministry, especially since the bulk of money coming into any religious organization comes via the donations of its members.

I am equally upset when I hear of CEOs of charities who get paid enormous salaries. That is why I am careful about where I give my money.

One of my favorite charities in this area is the Capital City Rescue Mission. It does an incredible job with the homeless, drug addicts, etc. on a shoe string budget. Its director, Perry Jones, is a very humble man. He has been at the mission a long time. He could have moved on to bigger things a long time ago but has chosen not to. I heard him speak in a church over twenty years ago and was impressed then and have followed the fortunes of the mission ever since.

By the way, the mission does not accept any money from the government. It relies completely on donations.

I was never a big fan of former Governor Cuomo, but he used to go down to the mission on a fairly regular basis and volunteer. I have never read anything in the mission newsletter about Governor Pataki doing the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home