Upstream. A Mohawk Valley Blogzine.

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Another Blog Recommendation.

Since agriculture is still one of the Mohawk Valley's top businesses, I recommend reading and/or subscribing to Northview Diary (yes that's diary not dairy. I keep wanting to read it as dairy) to keep abreast of farm life in the valley.

I live on ten acres of what was once a 100 acre working farm. I live in the original farmhouse built sometime before the American Revolution. Our only connection to farming now is my daughter's horse, the burned out barn foundation across the road, and the two acres of hay that we let a local farmer take so that the field doesn't go back to nature. Eventually, I want to fence it in for pasture for my daughter's horse.

We did have two goats and showed them at the fair, but their constant noise got on my nerves so we got rid of them. Anyway, I appreciate farmers and know that I was not cut out for that kind of life. Just taking care of one horse is taxing.

Although I am not enamored with farm life, I am fascinated by tractors and barns. I own a 1950 Case. It has a snow plow that I have not used to plow snow with, but I have used it to clear brush. By keeping the blade an inch or two off the ground, I can clear brush up to a couple inches in diameter.

Its sad to see so many barns falling down in the Valley. They are fantastic structures in their own right. The state does have a program now where you can get up to $25,000 to restore a barn. Unfortunately, that doesn't go far today. My goal is to build a replica Dutch barn on our property some day.

A couple of years ago, I made an offer on a barn and seven acres that once were part of the Danascara estate on Mohawk Drive in Tribes Hill. I wanted to turn the barn into a house. The owner and I could not agree on a price (eventually it was sold for less than what I offered). The barn blocks one of the most stunning views in the valley. Behind the barn is a gorge, with steep, rock walls through which a stream runs. Whoever bought the barn hasn't done anything with it, except to put plastic over the one missing window. I do hope they restore it.

1 Comments:

  • Thanks for the mention of ND.
    I will have to look for that barn the next time we go that way.

    By Blogger threecollie, at 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home