Upstream. A Mohawk Valley Blogzine.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Jockeying To Interpret History.

lawnjockey

I haven’t seen a Black lawn jockey in probably twenty-five years, but I stumbled upon this one yesterday in one of Amsterdam's nicer neighborhoods. Many sites on the internet attempt to dispel the racist, or at least stereotypical, overtones of these statues, but it appears that such attempts are simply part of revisionist history. For what it’s worth, I note that the wife of one of Montgomery County’s judges was sitting in the driveway of this house, along with its owner.

1 Comments:

  • If this is the one I think it is, the jockey's face was painted white during the short time his owner ran for public office some years ago.

    Though I am not a first-time commenter, for this one I prefer to remain anonymous!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home