Upstream. A Mohawk Valley Blogzine.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

blogspot.com vs. wordpress.com

In a post sometime ago Dave Lucas wondered why I post my blog both on wordpress.com and blogspot.com. Here’s why. When I initially wanted to blog, I didn’t know about wordpress. I did know that blogspot was where most of the serious blogs were. I wanted to be taken seriously and knew that places like livejournal and myspace were not where I wanted to be.

I really liked blogspot when I started out, but I wanted to be able to index all of my posts by using categories. I could not figure out a way of doing it. Then I discovered wordpress. Wordpress makes it very easy to add categories. You can also add additional pages that show up as tabs at the top of your blog. You can add pages like about us, contact us, etc. Wordpress also allows you to import ALL of your posts from your old blog.

I imported all of my posts from blogspot to wordpress and was working on categorizing all of the old posts, but I had yet to let anyone know about my blog, when one day blogger went down for hours and people could not access my blog. That’s when I decided it would be a good idea to let people know about my wordpress blog, so they could access it when blogger was down. Blogger has gone done several times since, which made me realize that a back up blog site was important to have.

At first traffic on my wordpress site was low, but now it has outstripped my blogspot site. It runs about five times the traffic on blogspot. In fact my blogspot blog traffic has remained relatively constant now for months. I also do not have to add any tags to my wordpress posts, because the categories work as wordpress tags. Furthermore, wordpress tags, in my experience, are picked up better by search engines than technorati tags are. Not having much computer savvy, I have yet to learn how to add technorati tags in the graceful way that Dave and other bloggers have.

On the downside, you can't modify your template with wordpress (although you can if you pay a one time $15 upgrade fee), and it’s not easy to add links, although I think that would be corrected by upgrading. I am also not sure that you can have a blog with multiple contributors. Using html is not as easy as with blogger and there are other minor quirks as well.

Posting to two blogs is a pain, even when you cut and paste. I have been tempted to upgrade my wordpress account so I can modify my template and abandon blogspot altogether, however, I understand that blogspot is coming up with a better version so I will wait and see.

For those of you who would like to add categories to your blogspot blog, Dave has come up with a fairly simple method, one I would have never thought of.

If I do abandon my blogspot blog, I won’t delete it but will leave a post there with a link to my wordpress blog.

1 Comments:

  • note on catagories: blogger is out with blogger beta, which is doing limited rollovers to a new system now (it will be available to everyone eventually - an invitation to do so will appear on your dashboard when they're ready to roll yours) more info is available on the blogger page. A fellow upstate blog who has made the jump already is the adirondack almanac, you can check out that to see how the catagories/other new features will look.

    By Blogger York Staters, at 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home