Upstream. A Mohawk Valley Blogzine.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Gay Marriage Is An Oxymoron.

For thousands of years marriage has meant the joining together of two opposites--male and female--to form a complete union. The marriage of two homosexuals is like trying to build a tractor with just bolts or just nuts. A bolt needs a nut to form a union. (Yes I know you can do all kinds of things with that analogy.) Children need both a good male and female parent. Sometimes, heterosexual marriages don't provide that, but that doesn't necessarily make gay marriage a good alternative.

Give gays rights. Don't discriminate against them in employment, etc. Let them call their unions anything but marriage. But don't abuse the institution of marriage and don't abuse the English language by calling a relationship between two homosexuals a marriage.

The New York State Supreme Court was right this week in rejecting the idea of same sex marriage.

2 Comments:

  • Joe,
    Couldn't agree with you more...well said!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:52 PM  

  • Things I've never understood:

    - Why anyone cares who you marry.

    - How a gay marriage lessens a straight marriage.

    - Why people need a law to tell them morals they already have in their holy books.

    - Why the morality laws in someone's holy book need to be the legal laws for people who don't believe in those books.

    - If gay marriage were legal, how would it encourage people to love same-sex partners when they would not have otherwise?

    I was recently married to an opposite-sex partner, and I legally had the option to marry a same sex partner. I felt no more compelled to do so. I didn't need an overbearing government in my bedroom telling me how to live my life, and enforce its false morality upon me. Amazing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home