Upstream. A Mohawk Valley Blogzine.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Don't Let Faso Blow It Out.

I rarely watch tv because where I live you can’t get cable, and the over the air reception is bad. I happened to be in the waiting room at Amsterdam Memorial Hospital the other day and saw my first Eliot Spitzer for Governor commercial.

Spitzer’s learned that the next best thing to using sex to sell something is to use cute pictures of little kids. But I was surprised to hear the words to the first stanza of “This Little Light of Mine” being sung in the commercial. Most Protestants of my age grew up singing that little ditty in Sunday School. It’s catchy but not very profound.

I doubt Spitzer grew up singing the song. So he probably never got around to the stanza that says, “Don’t let Satan blow it out. I’m gonna let it shine.” Or maybe he has and this is a subliminal commercial in which we are to subconsciously equate the King of the netherworld with John Faso.

1 Comments:

  • That folk song gets around in lots of secular circles as well as religious ones. I'd bet the reason it was used in the ad is that it's become popularized again recently by some NYC-area musicians who perform family entertainment. I'm pretty sure they don't include the "Satan" verse. For example, see http://www.youaremyflower.org/

    By Blogger The Bentwood Rockers, at 12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home