Upstream. A Mohawk Valley Blogzine.

Friday, June 16, 2006

A Time To Praise.

As a blogger, I find it very easy to be critical. There is so much to criticize. I notice that most other bloggers are the same way. Today, however, I would like to praise instead of being critical.

First, I would like to praise Judge Felix Catena for setting up a mental health court in Montgomery County. It's long overdue. Mental illness shows up in the prison population three times more often than in the general population.

Secondly, I've noticed that The Amsterdam Recorder has been writing some of their own editorials lately. I've criticized the paper in the past for simply reprinting editorials from other papers. Keep up the good work and expand it until you are writing your own editorials at least five out of seven days a week.

3 Comments:

  • editorials? I haven't noticed any lately. When were they in?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:04 AM  

  • Always though Catena does a great job (he instituted the Drug Court there several years back, to great effect).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:07 PM  

  • Praise for the Catena, yes. And I doubt many people realize how far he put his neck on the line to push that program, which makes his actions even more worthy of praise. As for the Recorder, I'll give them a tacit wink for the editorial --although I haven't read it yet --and also for doing a bit of a redisgn. For those who have ignored the paper as of late, they now put all of their local news on the front page, reserving the inside for state wire news. This said, the stories still lack the inventiveness that would mark the genesis of a good publication. So in summation, the changes so far indicate a willingness to move forward. Now its a matter of cracking the whip and getting the reporters to find news that hasn't been unearthed days earlier by the competition.

    By Blogger Horatio Alger, at 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home