Upstream. A Mohawk Valley Blogzine.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Honor among cops.

Cops have a strange sense of honor. That was the gist of Carl Strock's column yesterday. No matter what another cop does--like the two in New York who moonlighted as hit men for the mob--we'll be met by a blue wall of silence. None of the good guys will speak out, at least publicly about these killer cops in their ranks.

My involvement in the Jack Carroll case revealed another aspect of police honor. I found out the two cops who investigated that case lied on the witness stand. One of them , Steve Weber, admitted as much to Carl Strock. The other is a state cop named Edmund Girtler who is now retired, living near Old Forge , NY. When I complain about this to my lawyer friends, they smile, tolerantly, and I know they are wondering how, after so many years in the news business, I can be so naive. They say " people lie , cops lie, they do it all the time" . I guess I am naive. I thought that somehow being a police officer was a special calling that embued a person with a somewhat higher moral sense. All these years I thought that they were somehow better than the rest of us . I was wrong and because "cops lie" a man named Jack Carroll has been sitting in jail for eight years with little hope of early release.

The toll on the Carroll family has been enormous. Over the course of two trials they spent over a quarter of a million dollars. They're a close family. They all chipped in for Jack's defense borrowing wherever they could. They now all have extra mortgages on their homes.

Jack's wife Mary spends three hundred dollars a month in phone bills so she can talk to her husband every day. The reason for that is the outlandish sweetheart deal the Department of Correctional Services has with the phone company. The State of New York pulls in twenty five million dollars a year of profit from inmate phone calls. I'd love to know the name of the scumbag at DOCS who thought that one up. Again wouldn't you think the folks whose job it is to correct bad behavior would also have a higher moral sense. Obviously not so.

The trauma of Jack's case has brought on health problems among members of the family. Panic attacks! Depression! You name it. But they struggle on, trying to stay optimistic and hoping that the latest efforts by Troy Attorney E. Stewart Jones will somehow, someway, free Jack.

I have more to say about this case, especially about the role played by a prosecutor who, I believe should be in jail herself. More on that in a future post.

1 Comments:

  • Great post. I was extremely disturbed by the cops acting as hit men for the mafia.

    It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I realized that cops, prosecuting attornies, etc. often lie. The methods police use to get people to confess are very disturbing.

    In my own case, when the county brought a petition of neglect against me, the lies in the petition were incredible. On the advice of my attorney, I agreed to an ACOD, which I now regret.

    The attorney for Social Services acts as a prosecutor in neglect cases. Later, when another petition was put forward, it contained the same lies. I decided to fight and got all of the lies removed from the petition.

    After court, I was talking to my brother-in-law in the hallway when the Social Services attorney walked by. Later that day she called my attorney and said that I had called her a liar as she walked by me. Even though it was true that she was a liar, I did not call her one. I would not stoop to such behavior. Apparently though, the fact that I got all of her misrepresentations removed from the petition bugged her.

    Tomorrow I will be posting about former Albany ADA, Cheryl Coleman, whose behavior in the Ralph Tortorici case was as bad as Trish DeAngelis's behavior in the Jack Carroll case.

    By Blogger Dan Weaver, at 6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home