Upstream. A Mohawk Valley Blogzine.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Post-Op Post

Surgery went well yesterday. I only needed one pain pill after and haven’t taken any since. Dr. Tan said that the CT scans didn’t fully reveal how bad my sinuses were, and she did know how I was able to breathe though my nose. (Most of the time I wasn’t). The only thing I don’t like now is that for the next two weeks I can’t lift, strain or even bend over. Plus I am wearing this bucket under my nose.

Did you ever try to get through a day without bending over? I guess I am getting a taste of what it is like to be disabled.

Anyway, I have been in outpatient at Amsterdam Memorial Hospital three times since September and am really impressed with the staff and treatment there. I specially appreciate the nurse who warmed a blanket to wrap around my feet. Those stretchers are for short people, and my feet were hanging off the end of it.

For a small city Amsterdam has quality health care--two good hospitals and many fine doctors. Dr. Ron Marsh and Dr. Kurt Konieczny could easily be practicing in bigger and better places, but as local boys are committed to Amsterdam. Dr. Michael Sheridan is my primary. His nurse practitioner, Cheryl Sparks, is as good as any doctor as far as I am concerned. I never feel cheated when I see her instead of the doctor. She knows her stuff.

Dr. Dunning used to be our dentist. He was a perfectionist--sent my bridge back three times until the lab got the color just right. I don’t now if he is practicing anymore. Now I go to Dr. Vincent Filanova.

Other doctors we have had that I have been impressed with are Dr. H. A. Rehman, Dr. Frazier, Dr. Charland, the doctors at New York Oncology and Dr. Zimmerman.

Dr. Zimmerman used to stop by the Oncology Center to play Trivial Pursuit with my wife when she was going for treatment, and he wasn’t even her doctor. It meant a lot to her.

I do have a couple of doctors on my black list, but I won’t mention their names, at least for now.

2 Comments:

  • I have to agree that Dr. Koniezny is the best doctor I have ever dealt with. Wish he worked on grownups more.

    By Blogger threecollie, at 10:23 AM  

  • Glad to hear the surgery went well.
    Being new to blogging, I don't quite know the protocol yet so I'm not sure if you customarily check previous posts for recent comments. Thus, I'd like to draw your attention to my February 2nd response to your January 23rd post regarding the terrorists.
    Keep well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home