Upstream. A Mohawk Valley Blogzine.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Winston Churchill And The Mohawk Valley.

I have been reading one of those multi-volume, 1200 pages per volume, biographies of Winston Churchill. Churchill has been one of my heros since the eighth grade when I wrote about him for an assignment on "my favorite American." Churchill happened to be an honorary American citizen so I was able to write about him for the assignment. Churchill, of course, was half American anyway, because his mother was American. But what I didn't know until recently was that he was part Iroquois as one of his mother's ancestors had married a Native American. This puts part of Churchill's ancestry in New York State, and I like to think of that Native American ancestor of his living here in the Valley.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home